Both vegetarian and vegan diets can be healthy and nutritious if they are planned carefully. However, it is important to make sure that you get enough of certain nutrients, such as protein, iron, calcium, vitamin B12, and vitamin D, on a vegetarian or vegan diet.
- Vegetarian diet is a diet that excludes meat, poultry, fish, and seafood. However, some vegetarians may also choose to exclude eggs and dairy products.
- Vegan diet is a strict form of vegetarianism that excludes all animal products, including meat, poultry, fish, seafood, eggs, and dairy products.
Here are some tips for following a healthy vegetarian or vegan diet:
- Eat a variety of foods from all food groups, including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds.
- Choose fortified foods, such as plant-based milks and cereals, that are enriched with nutrients that are difficult to get from plant foods alone.
- Talk to your doctor or a registered dietitian if you have any concerns about following a vegetarian or vegan diet.
Here are some specific nutrient concerns for vegetarians and vegans:
- Protein: Vegetarians and vegans can get enough protein from a variety of plant foods, such as legumes, nuts, seeds, and whole grains.
- Iron: Non-heme iron, which is the type of iron found in plant foods, is not absorbed as easily as heme iron, which is the type of iron found in meat. To improve the absorption of non-heme iron, eat it with foods that are high in vitamin C, such as citrus fruits and tomatoes.
- Calcium: Good sources of calcium for vegetarians and vegans include fortified plant milks, leafy green vegetables, and calcium-set tofu.
- Vitamin B12: Vitamin B12 is an essential nutrient that is found in animal products. Vegetarians and vegans can get vitamin B12 from fortified foods, such as fortified plant milks and cereals, or from supplements.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin that is important for bone health. The best way to get vitamin D is from sunlight exposure. However, vegetarians and vegans may need to take a vitamin D supplement, especially if they do not get much sunlight exposure.
Summerville, SC is a charming town located just outside of Charleston. It's known for its historic downtown, its beautiful parks, and its delicious food. And while there are plenty of restaurants in Summerville that serve meat, there are also a number of great options for vegans and vegetarians.
- Newk’s Eatery: This is a great place to go for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. They have a wide variety of options to choose from, including sandwiches, salads, and pizzas. They also have a dedicated allergen and nutrition menu so you can enjoy great food while eating healthy.
- 210 D Azalea Square Blvd., Summerville, SC 29483
- Ye Ole Fashioned: This restaurant has been serving the Summerville community for over 50 years. They have a wide variety of American comfort food, including burgers, wraps, soups, and salads. They also have a wide variety of vegan options, such as the patty melt, cauliflower bites, onion rings, and cheese fries.
- 1205 N. Main St., Summerville, SC 29483
- Chipotle: This Mexican fast-casual restaurant is a great option for a quick and easy meal. They have a variety of ingredients to choose from so you can customize your own taco, bowl, or burrito. Chipotle has a sofrita filling made of soy protein, impossible meat, guacamole, and several other ingredients that are all vegan.
- 1209 N. Main St., Suite D, Summerville, SC 29483
- Tropical Smoothie Cafe: This chain restaurant has a variety of healthy dishes. They have wraps, flatbreads, salads, quesadillas, and of course, a smoothie bar. Tropical Smoothie also has a kids' menu, so the whole family can enjoy a meal together.
- 200 Nexton Sq., Summerville, SC 29486
These are just a few of the great vegan and vegetarian restaurants in Summerville, SC. With so many options to choose from, you're sure to find something to your taste. So next time you're in Summerville, be sure to check out one of these restaurants and experience the delicious world of plant-based cuisine!
- HappyCow: This website is a great resource for finding vegan and vegetarian restaurants around the world. They have a comprehensive listing of restaurants in Summerville, SC, so you can be sure to find something that's right for you.
- Vegan Summerville: This blog is a great resource for vegans and vegetarians in Summerville. They share news about vegan events in the area, as well as reviews of vegan-friendly restaurants.
- Summerville Farmers Market: This farmers market is a great place to find vegan and vegetarian food. They have a variety of vendors selling produce, prepared foods, and other vegan-friendly products.
I hope you enjoyed this blog post about vegan and vegetarian eating in Summerville, SC. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below.